Welcome to Authentic Bengal Cats, the website where we aim to answer all of your questions about Bengal cat ownership with clear, concise and informative answers.
In today’s article we are looking at the following question:
“Can I take my Bengal cat for a walk?”
There are various reasons why you might want to take your Bengal cat for a walk, namely:
1. You live in an environment that makes it difficult to let your Bengal cat outside for exercise and exploration unaccompanied (for example you live in an apartment – check out our guide to whether or not Bengal cats can live in apartments here for more information – and you want your Bengal to go outside for some “roaming” time).
2. Your Bengal can go outside by his/herself but it may not be particularly safe to do so. For example, you might have a garden at your property but that garden backs on to a busy main road and you are worried about your precious pet getting hit by a car.
3. You think that walking your cat looks fun and will be an enjoyable experience for owner and pet alike!
Whatever your reasoning, the good news is that you can take a Bengal cat for a walk!
Bengal cats are known to really enjoy walking, and are one of the breeds of cat that are better suited to do so.
However, if you want to start walking your Bengal cat, it’s important to consider the following points:
1. You need to start training your Bengal cat to walk on a harness and leash ASAP. Ideally you would start training when your cat is young as they are harder to train when older. However, you can “teach an old cat new tricks” as well. Read our guide to training your Bengal cat to walk here. We strongly encourage you to get on to this training as soon as you can.
2. You need to invest in a good harness for your Bengal cat – view our recommendations here. If you’re going to take your Bengal cat out for a walk then it is crucial to have a harness that is safe, comfortable and adjustable. This is one area where you don’t want to “cheap out” as a quality harness makes a big difference and makes the whole process of walking your cat a lot easier.
3. You also need to invest in a good leash for your Bengal cat – once again, you can view our recommendations for this here. In our opinion a quality leash is less important than a quality harness, so if you need to reduce cost in one area then you’re probably better off to save on the leash. Any sturdy leash should do fine!
To recap, if you’re wondering “can I take my Bengal cat for a walk?”, then answer is yes. Regardless of why you want to do this, there is no reason you cannot do so. Most owners who do walk their Bengals report that their cats absolutely love it, and it is a great bonding experience for owner and cat.
However, you need to ensure that you have the right equipment (once again, check out our recommended harnesses for Bengal cats and recommended leashes for Bengal cats) and also that you start the training and ‘acclimatisation’ process as soon as possible.
We hope you enjoy the process of teaching your Bengal cat how to walk on a harness and leash. It’s a great “hobby” to get into and can provide hours of fun and enjoyment for you and your pet.